Death toll from Istanbul terror attack rises to 44
The death toll from Saturday's Istanbul terror attacks has risen to 44, Turkish Health Minister Recep Akdag said Monday.
Among the dead, 36 were police officers, and eight were civilians, Akdag said.
According to Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu, 98 people are getting treatment in various hospitals across the city.
At around 10.30 p.m. (1930GMT) Saturday evening, two explosions rocked Istanbul's European side.
Outside a football stadium in Istanbul's Besiktas district, a car bomb was detonated two hours after the end of a Turkish League football match between Besiktas and Bursaspor.
Seconds later, a suicide bomb attack occurred in Macka Park in the same neighborhood. The suicide bomber blew himself up after police noticed him, according to Soylu.
"A total of 13 suspects have been arrested so far," said Soylu. "Signs point to the involvement of the PKK terrorist group."
The armed group TAK, an affiliate of the PKK terrorist organization, claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Last Modified: 2016-12-13 17:43:02
- Visitors: 10166