Was the chopper crash in Siirt an accident or a conspiracy?
I have frequently stated in my previous columns and interviews that fighting the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) is like a rugby game with no rules. Some in Ankara have failed to frame and define the peace processes and the struggle with the terror organization. Whenever a sound decision was made to start an effective struggle, some people sabotaged this attempt in Ankara. And whenever the prospect of peace has appeared, they sabotaged this process. As noted by a Western academic, some in Turkey use the PKK as a laboratory animal. Those who asked him to leave 500 militants inside when Öcalan said he could take the PKK militants out of Turkey and the conspiracy set up at a time when strong action was taken against the PKK serve the same end and goal.
The Uludere disaster was a breaking point for this country. Somebody in Ankara took action at a time when important operations were being made and set up the plot in Uludere. This effectively ended the process of operations that would eliminate the PKK through September 2012. The government attempted to cover up the Uludere incident instead of resolving the matter. Within this period, the PKK strengthened its presence in Şemdinli, and it sought to create a PKK zone from Şemdinli to Hakkari. Selahattin Demirtaş argued that an area of 400 square kilometers was seized by the PKK and that the state had no control in that area.

During this process, a grave situation has emerged. The PKK has transported heavy weaponry to Şemdinli and Hakkari over a period of two months since June. However, the intelligence units that were chasing journalists in İstanbul did not initiate a counter-operation by disseminating news on the PKK arms in the region. For some reason, Ankara was unaware that the PKK would attempt a strong attack; however, the attack was imminent. The intelligence units did not inform the authorities of what was happening in Şemdinli. And even if they did, the authorities did not initiate an operation. Thank God a report was published on July 21 that the PKK would attack Şemdinli, and counter operations were started on July 22.

The reason for ignoring the PKK's growing activism and violence in the region was obvious: The state is unable to defeat the PKK; so let us talk with it. This dirty game of the Oslo negotiators has made the PKK stronger and raised doubts over the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government. When the PKK's Şemdinli plan was exposed, the process of operations was restarted. During this process, a series of conclusive operations were resumed.

I have recently spoken with a security officer working in the region; he told me that the operations that were resumed last year were as influential as the beginning phase of the operation process that ended with the Uludere disaster. In other words, we are just at the beginning of the momentum we seized last year. At this point, the major concern held by the security forces and the experts was this: Will the process be sabotaged or interrupted by some sort of conspiracy or an Uludere-like operation?

These are not some empty and unsubstantiated concerns. As I explained in a column published on Oct. 17, a second Uludere disaster was barely prevented. A double agent within the PKK working for the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) planned the second Uludere disaster of the PKK. Those who would like to get the details on this should see this: http://www.todayszaman.com/columnist-295647-the-state-was-on-the-verge-of-shelling-its-own-people.html

In the tweets I posted a few days ago in consideration of this background, I said that the pre-Uludere operation process is being restarted and that I am afraid that a new Uludere conspiracy may be staged. Unfortunately, according to a recent report, a helicopter heading to an operation crashed; 17 special operation troops and the chopper crew died.

The questions that need to be answered are as follows:

When were the operations started in Siirt? Was there an ongoing operation and was that chopper heading to the operation site for backup, or was it going to a different site for a separate operation? The media reports and official statements reveal that the chopper was heading to a different operation. How was the intelligence on that operation obtained?

It was announced that the chopper crashed due to fog. Under these weather conditions, the unmanned aerial vehicles are unable to operate and obtain images. In this case, based on what intelligence were these troops heading to an operation?

Were the weather conditions considered before the chopper took off?

Did anyone fire on that chopper?

The answers to these questions are crucial because we clearly know that some people are extremely uncomfortable with the operations against the PKK, and they intend to revive the PKK by stopping this process like they did in Uludere. I am afraid that they are far away from Ankara. They tried this in the first week of October, and we barely survived another Uludere thanks to that hero who was supervising the drone. There is no doubt that they will try this again. I hope that the helicopter crash was a just an accident.

EMRE USLU (Cihan/Today's Zaman) CİHAN
Last Modified: 2012-11-12 12:00:06
  • Visitors: 2903
  • (Suanki Oy 0.0/5 Yildiz) Toplam Oy: 0
  • 0 0