Turkish Cypriot president approves new government
New Prime Minister Omer Kalyoncu reveals new cabinet after predecessor's shock resignation
Turkish Cypriot President Mustafa Akinci has approved a new coalition government cabinet under Prime Minister Omer Kalyoncu.
The move comes after former prime minister Ozkan Yorgancioglu stepped down on July 4 after losing a party leadership vote in June.
Two days later, Akinci asked Republican Turkish Party-United Forces MP Kalyoncu to form a new government.
Kalyoncu's party formed a coalition with the National Unity Party and announced the government's new cabinet list after submitting it for the president’s approval on Wednesday.
The new cabinet members are:
- Prime Minister: Omer Soyer Kalyoncu
- Foreign Minister: Emine Colak
- Finance Minister: Hasan Basoglu
- Interior and Labor Minister: Aziz Gurpinar
- Economy, Industry and Trade Minister: Sunat Atun
- Public Works, Environment and Culture Minister: Kutlu Evren
- Transportation Minister: Tahsin Ertugruloglu
- National Education Minister: Kemal Durust
- Agriculture, Natural Resources and Food: Onder Sennaroglu
- Health Minister: Salih Izbul
- Tourism Minister: Faiz Sucuoglu
In the 50-deputy Turkish Cypriot Assembly, 26 seats are needed for a majority to form a government.
The Republican Turkish Party-United Forces has 21 seats and National Unity Party has 18 seats while the Democratic Party and Communal Democracy Party are represented with eight and three seats, respectively.
Last Modified: 2015-07-15 12:08:45
- Visitors: 11329