Mecca stampede: Turkish death toll rises to three
Saudi officials have recovered the body of another Turkish victim of the deadly stampede last week, bringing the death toll of Turkish citizens to three, said sources on Monday.
Sources from Turkey’s Religious Affairs Directorate -- wishing not to be named -- identified the pilgrim as Hikmet Capar, who had gone missing following the stampede, which was the worst Hajj disaster in last 25 years, killing a total of 769 pilgrims during the Hajj phase of "stoning the devil".
Turkish authorities have yet to issue an official statement over the new death toll.
The stampede occurred near an intersection of two streets in Mina, around 5 kilometers (3 miles) east of Islam’s holy city of Mecca on Thursday.
Efforts to find other five missing Turkish citizens continue, said the sources.
According to Saudi figures, some 2 million Muslims from around the world are participating in this year’s Hajj pilgrimage.
The tragedy comes two weeks after 107 people were killed by a crane that collapsed in Mecca’s Grand Mosque, which had been teeming with worshippers at the time of the accident.
The Hajj pilgrimage to the city of Mecca is one of the five pillars of Islam.
Last Modified: 2015-09-28 10:50:38
- Visitors: 11098