Malaysia Airlines slapped with 12 more lawsuits over MH370
Malaysian authorities have been hit by another raft of lawsuits over the loss of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 - a further 12 families on Friday filing civil suits against the carrier and government claiming damages and compensation for negligence.

The suits were filed four days before the stipulated two-year deadline given to families wanting to pursue legal action over the missing aircraft.

They are in addition to 43 cases filed against the Malaysian government and the airline in China, and 14 already filed against the government in Malaysia.

Last month, the Australia-based wife of a man on board MH370 filed similar claims, alleging negligence by the airline.

March 8 commemorates the second year anniversary of the vanishing of MH370.

Of the 12 families who filed suit Friday, 10 were Malaysians, two were Ukrainians and one family each were from China and Russia.

A majority of the families represent Malaysian passengers -- Anne Catherine Daisy, Guan Hua Jin, Muzi Yusop, Sim Keng Wei, Suhaili Mustafa, Tan Teik Hin, Wan Hock Khoon and Yap Chee Meng.

The other passengers mentioned in Friday's lawsuit were Ju Kun (China), Nikolai Brodskii (Russia) and Ukrainians Oleg Volodymyrovych and Sergii Grygorovych Deineka.

A lawyer representing 10 of the families, Sangeet Kaur Deo, said that the next-of-kin believed that the MH370 tragedy could have been avoided if Malaysia Airlines and other enforcement authorities had best practices in place.

The families are suing Malaysia Airlines for an unspecified sum for negligence, breach of contract and breach of statutory duties.

"My clients have decided to file the suits on time before the deadline. They have deliberated for long and have decided that the tragedy was due to the negligence of the defendants," Kaur Deo told reporters at the Kuala Lumpur court complex on Friday.

Outside of the national carrier, the suits name four other parties -- the Malaysian government, the director-general of the Department of Civil Aviation and the commander of the Royal Malaysian Air Force.

MH370 vanished an hour after taking off from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on March 8 2014 carrying 239 passengers and crew members, including 152 Chinese citizens.

The search and rescue mission -- which began immediately -- involved some 160 assets inclusive of 65 aircraft and 95 vessels as well as experts from 25 countries.

After 10 months of intensive undersea search for the vanished flight, on Jan. 29 2015 Malaysia declared that MH370 was lost in an accident, killing all passengers.

AA
Last Modified: 2016-03-04 12:26:20
  • Visitors: 9143
  • (Suanki Oy 0.0/5 Yildiz) Toplam Oy: 0
  • 0 0