Istanbul airport terror attack death toll rises to 44
The death toll in the terror attack at Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport rose to 44 Thursday after a 25-year-old succumbed to his wounds, according to a hospital source.
Yasin Ocal, a Turkish citizen, died at Bakirkoy Dr. Sadi Konuk Training and Research Hospital in Istanbul's Bakirkoy district.
Earlier, Interior Minister Efkan Ala told a press conference in Ankara that 19 foreigners were among those killed in Tuesday’s attack, which also injured more than 200 people.
"There are now 94 injured people in hospitals," Ala said.
The toll does not include the three suicide bombers involved in the attack, of which one had been identified, he added.
Also on Thursday, 13 suspects, including nine Turkish citizens were detained during a series of raids in Istanbul.
Three assailants had launched a gun-and-bomb attack at Istanbul’s Ataturk International Airport Tuesday night, which also disrupted air traffic flow.
The attackers were identified Thursday as a Russian national from Dagestan in the north Caucasus, an Uzbek citizen and another from Kyrgyzstan, according to a prosecution source, who is familiar with the investigation but spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.
Turkey's Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said initial indications suggested Daesh was responsible for the attack.
Yildirim said airport operations resumed Wednesday morning.
The Turkish Prime Ministry Wednesday announced a one-day national mourning in the aftermath of the attack.
Turkey also hoisted its flags at half-mast across the country and in Turkish foreign missions around the world, the Prime Ministry said in a statement.AA
Last Modified: 2016-06-30 19:57:55
- Visitors: 7929