14 PKK terrorists, one Turkish soldier killed in army operation
Turkish warplanes struck several terrorist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) targets in rural areas of the southeastern province of Hakkari on Thursday evening, killing 14 terrorists and a special sergeant, in tandem with a ground operation that followed the air bombardment, security sources say.

Security officials obtained intelligence about gatherings of the terrorist group in several high plateaus in the region, including the Avaşin, Habeşki and Basyan plateaus. Security forces, backed up by attack helicopters, launched a ground operation targeting several locations.
Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) pinpointed the positions of the groups and delivered images to the ground station, following which Turkish jets struck the sites before the ground operation took place.

Authorities said 14 terrorists were killed, while a special sergeant, identified as Seyit Yalçın, lost his life following the air strikes and clashes. Yalçın died while receiving treatment for his injuries at the Yuksekova State Hospital.

Meanwhile, the state-owned Turkish Radio and Television Corporation (TRT) reported on Friday that nine PKK terrorists were killed as part of an ongoing operation that was launched six days ago in the Kavaklı region, near Hakkari province.

In a related development, the Diyarbakır 7th High Criminal Court handed down an aggravated life sentence to an accused in the ongoing investigation into the Kurdish Communities Union (KCK) -- an umbrella political organization including the terrorist PKK -- during a hearing on Thursday.

İlyas Yıldız was convicted of throwing a hand grenade at police officers in front of the headquarters of a provincial branch office of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) on March 21, a date marking Nevruz, a spring festival celebrated predominantly by Kurds in Turkey. Officer Mesut Güleç was injured in the explosion. Yıldız was identified in surveillance footage and arrested the following day. A member of the KCK terrorist organization, he was referred to the court after questioning by the police.

On Thursday, the court handed down its ruling and sentence to Yıldız. He was convicted of damaging the unity of the country, attempted murder of public officials, possession of illegal substances and damaging public property and received a life sentence as well as 49 years and nine months imprisonment.

(Cihan/Today's Zaman) CİHAN
Last Modified: 2012-11-09 20:00:02
  • Visitors: 3971
  • (Suanki Oy 0.0/5 Yildiz) Toplam Oy: 0
  • 0 0